Sunday, January 30, 2011

Autism


Autism is a non-curable disorder which altars the way one works with others. Usually someone with this condition is diagnosed as an infant. Autistic children struggle with language, behavior, and social interaction. For example, they enjoy playing by themselves in their “own world” instead of in a group among other peers. They also have difficulties maintaining eye contact and often develop repetitive movements, such as spinning and rocking. Unfortunately, no one knows what causes autism, but people believe that genetic problems and environmental factors may have something to do with it. Moreover, some people have a higher chance of being diagnosed with this condition than others. Autism may run in the family, and males are four times more likely to be diagnosed than females. As previously mentioned, a cure for autism does not exist; however, people have developed therapies which improve children’s social techniques as well as how to act in different social situations. Personally, I found this article very informative. I wanted to learn more about this disorder because I have interacted with autistic peers at my school. I have seen how physically and emotionally exhausting it is to care for an autistic child. I believe it is important for people to be educated about this condition because it is becoming a prevalent disorder.

Picture: http://www.csmsmagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/autism-kid.jpg
I got my information from http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/conditions/autism/

No comments:

Post a Comment